Well by Design
Wellness is about more than health. It’s living a balanced life involving multiple factors – or dimensions – of overall well-being. From enjoying a sense of purpose and nurturing your intellect, to feeling safe in your own home and being connected to others, true wellness can have a big impact on your health and happiness.
Your physical health can affect every part of your life. Older adults who are physically active have a lower chance of coronary heart disease and high blood pressure, as well as higher levels of functional health and better cognitive function. Adding even moderate physical activity, such as walking with friends, has potential long-term health benefits.
With our Well by Design program, a personal fitness specialist can help you develop a program that is tailored to you. You can set your own pace, and exercise with a friend, by yourself, or in a class.
There are plenty of ways you can improve your physical well-being at The Heritage.
- Heated indoor/outdoor swimming pool and hot tub
- State-of-the-art fitness center
- Workout equipment that is easy to use
- Group fitness classes, including water aerobics and yoga
- Outdoor walking paths
- Personal fitness specialist to help you establish an individualized fitness plan
- Staff dietician and head chef dedicated to nutritious, made-from-scratch meals
- Preventative health screenings and services
If you want to stay sharp, you need to exercise your brain as well as your body. Research from the University of Texas at Dallas has shown that learning mentally demanding skills is likely to improve cognitive functioning.
There are plenty of ways to stay curious and challenge yourself at The Heritage.
- Guest speakers on music, art, history, travel, and other special interests
- Community outings to dinner theater, concerts, and museums
- Creative arts studio with kiln
- Creative arts classes
- Well-equipped woodworking shop
- Library, and community book clubs
You have a lifetime of experience and knowledge. You can use it now to start a new business, pursue a new career field, or do some consulting.
You can also use it to help others. Volunteering has been associated with health benefits like enhanced cognition, lower risk of hypertension, and even lower mortality. So put your wisdom to work by teaching a class, serving on a resident committee, or volunteering with a charitable organization.
Well by Design can help you make a plan and connect you to the resources you need.
Finding healthy ways to adjust to changes in life – even positive changes – is an important part of your ability to thrive. Perhaps you miss the fulfillment of work life; or maybe there have been changes in your family that have been harder to adapt to than you anticipated.
You have a Well by Design team that can help you adjust to these kinds of changes and get you set on a path to emotional wellness. In complete confidence, team members can connect you with community support groups, professional counselors, health care professionals, or other campus resources you may need to successfully navigate these periods of life.
Many people entering a new stage of life find comfort and strength in the spiritual arena. In fact, spirituality and religious participation are strongly correlated with positive, successful aging.
So whether you have a personal faith, are seeking inner peace, or want to live more mindfully, your Well by Design team can help you find ways to add meaning to your life. They can help you find transportation to worship services, help research meditation resources, or information on the beliefs and customs of other faiths. We also bring in guest speakers on religion, spirituality, and life goals to help you explore this side of your life.
Not everyone enjoys a social life in the same way. Some enjoy being with large groups of people, while others prefer the company of a few friends.
No matter what shape your social life takes, having that connection to others is good for you. Having an active social life is associated with better cardiovascular outcomes, and people with friends are less likely to get sick.
At The Heritage, you have plenty of opportunities to create a healthy social life that suits you perfectly.
- On- and off-campus activities, including concerts, entertainment, happy hour, and seasonal celebrations
- The Tavern, a casual spot to cheer on your favorite sports team
- Game room for playing cards and socializing
- Easy access to everything in Reading: golf, restaurants, entertainment, and shopping
Environment is a broad term that can include nature, where you live, and the culture that surrounds you. At The Heritage, we keep all of those things in mind as we help you plan and enjoy environmental wellness.
With beautiful residences you can truly make your home, beautiful surroundings, and a focus on well-being, the environment at The Heritage is designed to help you live your best life.
- We are staffed around the clock, for your safety and security.
- There are a variety of floor plans available, so you can choose what suits you best.
- We’re on 78 acres of tree-lined streets in the rolling hills of Berks County, Pennsylvania.
- We have a community-wide commitment to eco-friendly products, services, processes, and designs.
At The Heritage, the Well by Design program is focused on the importance of wellness and staying healthy. To make that easier, you have a convenient Wellness Clinic for routine services such as blood pressure checks, flu shots, wound care, and more.
For those times you need additional medical care, our full-time Health Care Navigator serves as your guide through the process so you can focus on getting better.
The Health Care Navigator:
- Assists with medical appointments
- Helps sort through complex health care paperwork
- Helps you access on-site home health services
As part of The Heritage, you can have confidence knowing that our on-site Green Hills Manor gives you access to personal care, memory care, respite care, and hospice care, should you ever need it.
For more information about our Well By Design program, contact us or call (484) 772-8463.